#Login Register
Data Master App & Ambient Conditions
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

05-17-2016, 10:26 AM #1
eaadams Concrete Moisture Expert *****
Was presented with an interesting question last week.  When a building is acclimated it is done using thermostats at about eye level.  But, when we take ambient conditions with the Datamaster we are doing it at floor level.  In a big space (say, for my gymnasiums) the floor RH & Temp can be different from the Temp at eye level. 

Is there a standard in the ASTM as to the height the ambient condition measurements should be taken? 

05-17-2016, 12:46 PM #2
rapidrhrep Concrete Moisture Tutor **
(05-17-2016, 10:26 AM)eaadams Wrote:  Was presented with an interesting question last week.  When a building is acclimated it is done using thermostats at about eye level.  But, when we take ambient conditions with the Datamaster we are doing it at floor level.  In a big space (say, for my gymnasiums) the floor RH & Temp can be different from the Temp at eye level. 

Is there a standard in the ASTM as to the height the ambient condition measurements should be taken? 
Evan:

This is what the F2170-11 standard says:

11.1.7 Ambient air temperature, to the nearest degree Celsius
(Fahrenheit) and relative humidity (to the nearest percent
relative humidity) above each probe hole.

I guess for me, I look at which area, floor level or 6' off the floor, will the finished flooring system have the closest interaction.  This is where I would want my readings and, in my opinion, this is what the standard is implying.

Jason

05-17-2016, 08:22 PM #3
CC Solutions Concrete Moisture Evangelist *******
The ASTM doesn't get that specific and you needn't either. The air is moving and the difference between floor level and chest level is only 4 feet. I will agree that within that 4 feet you can have some variation, but not enough to worry about. The RH allowances are fluid (remember when everyone was stuck at 75% RH?) and these types of variables automatically work themselves into the mix. 

Obviously heated floors are a whole different issue.  Wink

JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
JGrafton@ccsolves.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies / Views Last Post
19 Replies 88,800 Views
Last Post by CC Solutions
10-16-2011, 06:09 PM