ASTM F2170 Compliance: Fast, Accurate and Easy with Any Rapid RH® System
Your project’s specs likely demand it. Your pride of craft demands it. Certainly, your good business sense demands it. Complying with ASTM F2170 standards when conducting an in-situ relative humidity (RH) test in concrete is not optional. Fortunately, any Rapid RH® system you select makes ASTM F2170 compliance easy.
Three key components of ASTM F2170 compliance are calibration, traceability and documentation.
- Each sensor must be properly calibrated to provide accurate, reliable readings.
- Each sensor must have a certificate of calibration directly traceable to a standard reference material provided by NIST, the National Institute of Standards and Technology. Without this NIST traceability, the accuracy and reliability of your sensor readings are in question.
- Clear and complete documentation is needed of each of your RH readings, including when and where you use each sensor.
Calibration and Traceability
Both the Rapid RH®4.0 EX (single-use) and 5.0 (reusable) Smart Sensors are properly calibrated right out of the box, so you can use them immediately and be confident of ASTM F2170 compliance. Every Smart Sensor pack comes with an NIST-traceable certificate of calibration. Each certificate is imprinted with its unique number and date of issue, making its traceability unassailable.
Since the 4.0 EX is single-use, you never need to do any future calibration checks. The NIST-traceable certificate you get from Wagner Meters verifies it was properly calibrated. No RH sensor is easier to use than the 4.0 EX.
On the other hand, ASTM F2170 specifications require reusable sensors be checked for calibration within 30 days before each use. Sensors must also be sent back to the manufacturer for re-calibration after each year of use. These compliance requirements have been the drivers for making reusable sensors less convenient to use. The investment in calibration verification equipment plus time and labor to conduct the calibration checks, can be significant.
At Wagner Meters, we’ve reduced the time and labor costs for a reusable system to the absolute minimum possible. Our 12-month recertification service for the Rapid RH®5.0 makes it extremely easy to maintain an inventory of properly calibrated reusable sensors, complete with the required documentation. After one year of use, just send your 5.0 reusable sensors to us for recertification, and we’ll quickly send back properly calibrated sensors, each with a new NIST-traceable certificate good for one year of additional use. All for pennies on the dollar when compared to purchasing new sensors.
Reusable Smart Sensor 30-Day Requirement: Just Add Water
What about the compliance requirement to test each reusable sensor within 30 days before each use? The Rapid RH®5.0 reusable Smart Sensor makes that as pain-free as possible. Wagner Meters developed a system that would revolutionize the current technology and significantly reduce your costs in verifying the calibration of each sensor.
Each Rapid RH® reusable Smart Sensor comes with its own EasyCare CalCheck™ (patent pending) storage unit. Unique to the 5.0, this unit provides your reusable Smart Sensor with the optimal storage environment to maintain calibration. You test and verify calibration by simply taking an RH reading while the sensor is stored in its EasyCare CalCheck™ unit. Instead of taking hours using the special equipment that other reusable sensors require a calibration check for the 5.0 reusable takes just seconds.
All you need to do to maintain the integrity of the EasyCare CalCheck™ unit is to add a little tap water into one of its chambers when the water level gets low. That’s it.
ASTM F2170-Compliant Documentation and Reporting
Of course, it’s not enough to maintain and document proper calibration. ASTM F2170 compliance also requires documentation of the sensor’s actual use and test results. Here, Wagner Meters offers a variety of tools to easily collect, document, and report your test results.
- The “Floor Map and Data Grid” provides the framework you need to ensure you’re documenting all the ASTM F2170 required information. The map helps you document all the floor locations tested. The data grid lists all the types of data you need to collect, along with cells to enter your specific data. It won’t let you forget a thing.
- The DataMaster™ app collects all the necessary sensor data when you conduct a RH test. The Bluetooth® Smart Reader wirelessly sends data from your Smart Sensors to your mobile device.
- Another feature of the DataMaster™ app is that it gathers all the required calibration data into a table that can be emailed directly from your mobile device.
Regardless of which electronic data collection option you use, we’ve made ASTM F2170 compliance simple. The DataMaster™ app lets you upload your data directly to a reporting website for ASTM compliance. It also creates a PDF report of sensor calibration compliance.
Either Choice Is the Right Choice
Since both the single-use and reusable Smart Sensors make ASTM F2170 compliance fast and easy, you can’t go wrong no matter which option suits you better.
Latest posts by Jason Spangler (see all)
- How to Prepare a Concrete Floor for Coatings - September 14, 2016
- RH Testing and That 72-Hour Wait: How Do You Manage It? - August 9, 2016
- 5 Ways to Speed up Your Concrete Moisture Testing - August 5, 2016