• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing Concrete Moisture Solution!

I read the fine print on some of the products that state that work work with readings of 95% rh require a vapor barrier under the concrete to be valid.
Hummm

Time for an update as promised. Seems now that the GC contacted another leveling contractor when a lesser known leveling product manufacturer came along promising his product would bond to the concrete slab containing the amazing moisture "blocking" additive. Further still, the sales person claimed that F1869 could be performed on the slab, contrary to what ASTM F1869 states!! Fortunately, the leveling contractor wisely walked away from the potential job knowing the high level of risk involved. In the meantime, time is running out fast to get this job done, and there's no one willing to risk a failure, knowing what danger lurks within the slab. Not to mention the specialty flooring contractor who knows better than putting his product over this ticking time bomb.
JK Nixon
Concrete Restoration Services, LLC
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.rhtester.com

(06-01-2013, 01:17 PM)jim decker Wrote:  to be valid.
Hummm

I think I know the product you are talking about.

So far no failures.

It is possible the floor could be blasted, a screed layer of rapid drying cement placed and a moisture mitigating epoxy applied.

This was a method Harald Muench used to recommend when he was Koster's lead technical man.

I wonder if Howard would recommend a similar approach now that he works for Koster.... Huh
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

heh ... talk to me after next Friday. Smile 40,000 sf up to bid.

I have a CTL spec here from another project where the beadblast was enough. But not sure in the new job what the new rules will be.

I will say I got an ear full from George Donnelly last week. Some of my ideas about unreacted lithium silicates that Harold / Minerology would say he takes great objection to.

I've got quite a number of cores at Tim's right now being analyzed for surface contamination. While some in the industry poo-poo some contaminants, I'd say Tim emphasizes them. More like a better safe-than-sorry approach.

Unreacted silicates can be a non-issue depending on what you are doing to the slab. Wink
JD Grafton
[email protected]

(08-07-2013, 08:35 AM)CC Solutions Wrote:  Unreacted silicates can be a non-issue depending on what you are doing to the slab. Wink

Can you edumacate me?

Well, like unreacted silicates on a warehouse floor. Or maybe you will install ceramic tile or a stain. Probably not an issue. Wink
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Well, this project came to a successful end so it seems. After many back and forth discussions and system evaluations, someone came up with a prep and product installation system that addressed the issue and is fully warranted. Everyone is happy and the job can finally get completed...except for the overall final cost, which the GC has to eat. Doubt seriously if the manufacturer of the original system will ever see a job from this GC ever again. Had they stuck with a proven system instead of trying to cut corners, all the delays and expense would have been avoided...expensive lesson learned.
JK Nixon
Concrete Restoration Services, LLC
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.rhtester.com

(08-07-2013, 08:10 AM)eaadams Wrote:  heh ... talk to me after next Friday. Smile 40,000 sf up to bid.

I have a CTL spec here from another project where the beadblast was enough. But not sure in the new job what the new rules will be.

I will say I got an ear full from George Donnelly last week. Some of my ideas about unreacted lithium silicates that Harold / Minerology would say he takes great objection to.

Ardex came out with a much better spec to fix these slabs with MC Ultra. But looks like I lost the jobs to someone who is going to risk it with MC Rapid against some peoples explicit warnings not to use it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Concrete doesn't crack eaadams 9 15,682 12-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Last Post: CC Solutions
  Light Weight Concrete on Pan Deck arlington 6 14,542 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Last Post: CC Solutions

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon