• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Before You Spec!

I was elated the other day when I received a call from the facilities manager of a local school district with a request to test an on-grade slab in an area of a school scheduled for renovation. While he knew little about proper testing, he had heard horror stories about other schools that had moisture related flooring problems (after renovation) that were neither anticipated or budgeted for by the architect or GC before the work began. WOW...someone "gets it" is all I could think.

Just think how many millions of dollars could be saved if decision makers would spend a few hundred dollars on "baseline" RH testing before budgets were established...just to get a better idea what floor covering was best suited for the environment, and what corrective action may be required, if any. This does not mean disregard the need to conduct ASTM compliant testing per manufacturer specs, just know what's in the water before you take the plunge!

Such a simple concept, sadly overlooked.
JK Nixon
Concrete Restoration Services, LLC
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.rhtester.com

I wish I could get the word out to more people and then I wish they'd listen to my advice!!

Testing is really pennies per square foot. And it can save you THOUSANDS and TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars!

Like that gym floor I inspected that failed only weeks after it was installed... The installer said it was an old slab! "If we would have thought there was a moisture problem we would have tested it".

Well I proved it was a moisture problem with three little Rapid RH probes for less than $200 total.

Isn't a new gymnasium floor including shut down, tear out, mitigate and reinstall worth a couple quick tests??? Huh
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

Yes it is and with wood it is even more noticeable though one only has to go through most floors in El Paso and see control cracks showing through saw on national chain grocery the other day looked like the floor had the mumps. Tested a Big Lots store removal revealed gypsum patch, emulsified adhesive really sad.

Might you have any pics of that gym floor?

I'm wondering who did it. The gym floor business is a small business.

No pictures, sorry. Most of the time I can't release pictures anyway, I would think if the installer saw his job pop up online he would be pretty upset.
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

exactly...

if they are the competition I'd love to know

heres pics you might like. colored concrete with an epoxy coating. the slab says "yum yum yum!"

.jpg   3040N Daisylirion Dr, Tucson AZ 024.JPG (Size: 67.2 KB / Downloads: 15)
.jpg   3040N Daisylirion Dr, Tucson AZ 026.JPG (Size: 23.63 KB / Downloads: 13)
.jpg   3040N Daisylirion Dr, Tucson AZ 001.JPG (Size: 69.09 KB / Downloads: 12)
Stephen Perrera dba
Top Floor Installation Co.
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com
http://www.floorsavior.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cal Chlor Test CCR 10 15,484 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Last Post: eaadams
  Another tester brought in to dispute test results. CC Solutions 4 9,693 08-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Last Post: CC Solutions
  Interesting Test Result eaadams 16 30,051 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM
  How to test RH levels after moisture barrier is used DShenk 3 10,624 08-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Ernesto
  Old Slab Test eaadams 5 12,172 07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Ernesto
  pH test eaadams 2 7,879 07-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Last Post: eaadams
  Test time for RH test jigar0896 14 31,395 01-15-2010, 09:36 PM
  When to Test CFI 2 8,649 12-16-2009, 11:45 AM
  RH Test Hole Callout Ben 3 11,286 11-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Last Post: rthompson

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon