• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre Cast / Self Leveling

is there " White Paper " out there on RH Testing of Pre Cast that is covered by self leveling.

Not that I'm aware of. Why would you want to test AFTER the self-leveler is installed? All testing should be done BEFORE any topping, skimcoat or self-leveler is installed because moisture mitigation systems should be installed directly over ther affected concrete. There are a couple of MM products that claim they can be installed over self-levelers but I'm not so sure that's a good thing. And until I see it for myself, I simply don't believe it.
JK Nixon
Concrete Restoration Services, LLC
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.rhtester.com

I have a job that has structural plank with a 3" cement based topping over it, can RH testing be performed to verify the moisture content of the topping? I have attached the mix specifications with page 1 being the topping over the plank.

Attached Files
.pdf   topping and concrete mixes.pdf (Size: 134.18 KB / Downloads: 6)

A cement based topping is not a self leveling underlayment.

Self Leveling Underlayments (ardex K-15 or equal) are entirely a different animal from what you are working with.

This is somewhat unusual. I, for one have never had to test such a "combined" surface. I would recommend checking with the flooring or coating manufacturer first since in the end, they are the ones who will hold the general or flooring contractor responsible in the event of a moisture problem. Testing recommendations should come from them in writing.
JK Nixon
Concrete Restoration Services, LLC
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.rhtester.com

Cement based... Is it a gypcrete type deal?

(05-23-2013, 01:31 PM)jhout32 Wrote:  I have a job that has structural plank with a 3" cement based topping over it, can RH testing be performed to verify the moisture content of the topping? I have attached the mix specifications with page 1 being the topping over the plank.

Is the topping poured directly on the concrete or is there a barrier between the two?

You will have the moisture in the topping and the moisture in the precast. If the precast was clean and unsealed, I'd consider it part of the whole system as far as moisture goes.

As a direct answer to your question though, yes you can test the topping layer using Rapid RH probes. If the precast was sealed or the topping was poured on a waterproof membrane I'd drill 20% of the depth of the topping layer.

Do not drill into the precast plank without locating the tensioning cables. Exclamation
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self-leveling concrete - My bonehead mistake CC Solutions 37 65,299 09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Last Post: CC Solutions

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon