Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates
09-15-2012, 09:04 AM,
RE: Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates
Bill,

I had a similar situation on a job. (I think you were on that job, or at least someone told me that was you in a picture, with a large water jet shooting out of a blister, now used in Koster's marketing literature. )

I believe what was done was the blister water was shown to have turned into a sort of high pH acid and the presence of that high level showed why the adhesive emulsified and the floor bond failed. I believe that was a G21 installation over slipsheet.

Are you sure about the G21 75%&5#. Is that DLW's #? (DLW is the factory Armstrong lino is made, my father introduced them the USA back in the day before Armstrong bought them) I know in the sports world G21 is used with many slip sheets and those manufacturers let it go much much higher.

I have also had success is CaCl consultants testing over cracks. That can result in higher CaCl levels. Different silicate manufacturers say different things about treating cracks and it is often on a 2 sided doc that the 2nd page never gets submitted.

What did the lab say about cores? Often I have seen cores taken to see if the Silicate has penetrated the correct depth into the surface. I am unsure if a correlation between silicate penetration and failure has ever been demonstrated.

Finally, is there a sand blotter layer?
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates - eaadams - 09-15-2012, 09:04 AM