• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mopped the Floor

We have a six of the new Rapid RH 4.0 EX probes down.

The custodian mopped the floor an unknown number of times over Friday & the weekend. 5/6 tests are coming in at 99%. 6th is at 95%

What does one do when a floor gets moped? Can the RH probes dry out? Do they pickup surface moisture etc... ?

(existing floor is VCT with asbestos adhesive)

Well that sucks.

Moisture CAN damage the probes. Even taking cold probes into a warm environment can create condensation and mess them up.

The question is, did he or didn't he? Are they soaked or dry? When the outcome is so important, I would say install new probes.

Jason is the man though..... Let's see what he says.
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

The probes are dry to the touch. They were covered by black duct tape over the weekend so I don't think they were exposed to external moisture but I can't be 100% sure.

I learned the hard way what to do after plumbers made several saw cuts in a slab after my sensors were placed. They flooded 3 out of 12 sensors and trashed them. Ever since then, after getting my initial readings, I cover every sensor with the supplied stainless steel caps, then install the orange caps with a bead of caulk. I top it all off with bright colored tape labeled "DO NOT DISTURB". Have had no problems since. However, even with all that, if the concrete get shot blasted or ground, stuff can still get in sometimes.
JK Nixon
Concrete Restoration Services, LLC
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.rhtester.com

I have already sent EA a response via email, but typically, due to the electronics in the sensor/contact plate, WATER will actually cause very LOW readings. Taken out of the environment that is causing this WATER and putting them into a "dry" environment, the sensor will read appropriately, over time. The key point here, as you all have probably figured out, is WATER vs VAPOR. The condensation issue JD spoke of is real, but even in that situation, the sensor will come back to read the environment.

Jason

Thanks Jason.

Then we have to consider how much water went in the hole (if any) and how does that affect the readings we are seeing now. The concrete could absorb some water and the hole could be dry, but the concrete may now be saturated and readings would be higher than normal.

My thoughts are if there is any suspicion at all and your credibility rides on proper readings, install new probes. Then again if maybe one or two probes may or may not have seen water, just correlate those readings with others and see where they fall. If they all jive, the probes probably didn't get wet. If those probes are reading high, don't publish the results.
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Janitor mopped the floor again!!! ARG.

Grumble Grumble stupid people Grumble Grumble

Hard to prepare for stupid.
JK Nixon
Concrete Restoration Services, LLC
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.rhtester.com

Is there someone you can talk to higher up? Maybe insinuate that there will be monetary charges if these probes aren't respected?
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Results are in. One probe did read at "1%"

I guess that is what Jason meant by "very LOW readings"

Almost every probe was at 99% but I got approval from manufacturer to install. Just waiting for the letter as I'm not going to risk my butt on this one. They will let us install up to 98% and require pictures etc... before 99%.

(readings by me)
#1 / 99% / June 21st
#2 / 99% / June 21st
#3 / 99% / June 21st
#4 / 95% / June 21st
#5 / 99% / June 21st
#6 / 99% / June 21st

(readings and probes done by 3rd party engineering firm)
#1 / 95% / June 25th
#2 / 99% / June 25th
#3 / 99% / June 25th
#4 / 96% / June 25th
#5 / 99% / June 25th
#6 / 1% / June 25th

(readings and probes done by 3rd party engineering firm)
#1 / 95% / July 10th
#2 / 99% / July 10th
#3 / 99% / July 10th
#4 / 99% / July 10th
#5 / 99% / July 10th
#6 / 96% / July 10th

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon