• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concrete Moisture Control Systems

We are doing some construction with some potential moisture issues in some slabs and some folks recommended using some moisture control sealants to solve the problem prior to finished floors.

The sub recommended either Koester or Synthetics International.
Anyone have any experience with these manufacturers.

Thanks
Drew

Drew,

Where are you? Be careful of subs who recommend moisture products because those two products are not equal. In my opinion, they are at different levels.

Adam @ Synthetics is one of the best salesmen I've ever met. His sales software is amazing, he can track and follow up amazingly well - I could learn a lot from him. But I can tell you that I've passed on some major projects with Synthetics on the concrete. He has a broad spectrum of product. They aren't all the same. And as a flooring distributor I've had to really put the hammer down on subs who don't know the difference.

For me, Koester is the gold standard here in my part of California. When the entire floor comes up, and the hospital shuts down, and everyone lawyers up, and then the lawyers consultant up, the consultants always write the spec along the lines of:
Koester VAP 1 2000 or Ardex MC1 or Mapei EMB or equal.

"Or Equal" - a phrase I HATE in architecture. Nothing is really equal but I believe what you need to look at carefully is the Perm rating.

In my area the Koester rep is the expert. He's really been a beacon for me on doing things right or not at all. He continues to teach me a lot. When we have a problem I turn to him immediately.

I've never had a failure over properly done Koester.

And you don't have to take my word for it. Look at who's logo is on this document. They are the scientists for the Portland Cement Association and you do what they say period, the ultimate consultants. http://www.koesterusa.com/Testing/ASTM-E96-Results-for-VAP-I-2000-andVAP-I-2000FS.pdf

Yes I have experience with Koester. As Eaadams said, it's in the gold standard classification.

Please clarify your issues and I know we can help you out here.... Smile
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

Have had experience with Koester and Ardex. Both are good products. the key is to do the prep correctly and apply the product to Mfg specification.
Regards
Rayt

Oops, I should say I'm a certified applicator of Koester and Ardex, and one of the first Nora Mitigation applicators in the US. (yea! nora!!! )
And Ray is 110% correct that prep is the most important part of any project. I am on every job my company does and I certify every part of each step. I go as far as using stop watches to time mixing and laying the ICRI molds on every floor to verify CSP profiles. It is routine for my guys now and it doesn't take much time to guarantee it's done by the book.
JD Grafton
[email protected]

JD
The industry needs more people with your dedication!
Rayt

You know my background Ray, lifetime warranty with no excuses. It was always in the prep or the installation so let's check things out then double check, and then follow the directions....
Then if it goes wrong, at least my rear is covered as well as it can be... Big Grin
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Spam has been removed. -admin

Spam has been removed. love your comment JD. -admin

[/quote]

I completely agree with your statement about the tree chasing the house, but I don't think the fish hook square box ladder thing is correct.... Perhaps Eaadams or Stephen can help here.....
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moisture going up Rubensgt40 3 1,550 07-05-2014, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Rubensgt40
  ICRI pH testing Concrete Repair Bulletin eaadams 4 2,403 05-20-2014, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Ashok Kakade
  35-40 year old concrete with moisture problems Tscdad 13 7,331 05-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Last Post: eaadams
  Digital moisture meter QC worker 2 1,853 05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Rubensgt40
  Concrete Hood Method Blake McFee 9 27,265 11-08-2013, 01:41 PM
  Tandus removes moisture testing requirement eaadams 2 4,079 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM
  RH in Concrete for Wood Floor with Vapor Membrane eaadams 35 63,885 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Last Post: jim decker
Question Concrete Cork Sandwich Floor System JKJeremy 4 8,218 01-30-2013, 04:43 PM
  Carbide moisture testing CC Solutions 4 8,665 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Last Post: CC Solutions
  Self consolidating concrete (SCC) eaadams 32 60,337 05-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Last Post: CC Solutions

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon