Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates
11-19-2012, 08:33 AM,
RE: Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates
Obviously I know temperature affects relative humidity as temperature is one factor of the product. For this reason we test at service conditions. Testing outside of these conditions gives us a less accurate reading and now we have a failure to follow specifications.

Puncturing the vapor retarder is also a failure to follow specifications. However, a punctured vapor retarder is not as big a problem as some believe. Suprenant proved this through laboratory testing and published an article about it. In my own work I have also found this to be true, and my engineers, architects and I modified the installation specs for vapor retarders under our slabs because of our testing results. We could do this because WE held the full warranty for life.

I am not saying I am better than you, what I am saying is it is quite amazing how you have stumbled upon the greatest products in the industry in four short years. Your admix solves all concrete problems in one little bottle. Your coatings are better than anyone's.

While the rest of the planet struggles with problems, one guy in the Midwest has all the answers, but no industry leaders will listen to him. Hmmmm either the entire industry is ignorant and out to stick facility owners with problems or that one guy in the Midwest is maybe a bit on the wacky side.Huh

In that way we are much alike. I also believe I have the answers. My answers cost nothing but some work, in fact they save a lot of money!

Use a proper vapor retarder directly under the slab (no blotter layer).
Pour a well graded concrete mix (high strength /less cement).
Limit the amount of water not just W/C ratio (you can limit cement also).
Finish the concrete so it is left porous and breathes.
Cure the concrete with water for 3 days only.
Eliminate re-wetting.
Promote drying with airflow and low humidity.
Test the slab using Wagner Rapid RH probes.
Glue directly to the concrete and enjoy.

My company did this again and again and again, but we controlled all aspects of the construction.
Trying to bring groups of trades together, each with their own agenda, for one common cause is much more difficult, but I have had some success. For the few times a mitigation system is required, we can install one for $2/sf.
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates - CC Solutions - 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM