Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates
09-24-2012, 10:00 AM,
RE: Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates
(09-19-2012, 06:40 AM)Lepito Wrote:  The flooring material was installed over crumb rubber using a 1/16 x 1/16 x1/16 sq. notch. The flooring material has swelled (due to moisture) and adhesive application was not uniform which caused the bubbles to occur where not enough adhesive was applied. Some areas were bonded with tenacity while other experienced bubbling. I tried to explain to the client that it was a combination of things (moisture and inconsistent adhesive application) that caused this failure, but seeing that the GC hired the flooring contractor whom he has had a long relationship with and that he recommended the silicate) he is defending the flooring contractor and the use of the silicate."why am i not surprised"

Someone installed Lino on top of recycled crumb rubber? This is starting to take shape in my mind. 1/16" sounds familiar. The rubber was probably 4' wide goods. So, was the rubber was installed with say a one part moisture cured urethane or was that also with G21?

There is a reason DLW for sports requires metal/steel plates above the rubber layer in Europe... Let you jump to your own conclusions on that one.

We did some of the first sales of this sort of thing in California some time ago but with a vinyl on top not lino. We would get problems like you describe but it was because of an imperfect bond between the flooring and rubber. Those rubber products are inherently inconsistent. I have an e-mail here from the old technical manager at the PA based company their tolerances which just blew my mind as they basically say those products are recycled and thus can be inconsistent. Anyway, it was quickly discovered that you must use at minimum a double layer cross layed and glued down fiberglass screed to prevent the two materials from having the issue you describe. (usually under load areas) Those areas were not consistent. The same load at two places would cause different results. The same manufacturer with very close ties to Mapei & Armstrong are doing some interesting things in 'field tests' in the north east, I'd make sure this isn't one of those jobs.

Also, sometimes with that rubber it isn't so much a mater of enough adhesive but the rubber is variably porous. That is why the poured in place gym floor people have to seal/prime the floor before they install the urethane top coat otherwise the sub-floor can just suck up anything on top.

My heart does go out to the installer. G21 is a bear to work with. Few installers can get it right as you must have 100% focus and patience to not try to lay too much too fast. I can't imagine using it in this manner.
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates - eaadams - 09-24-2012, 10:00 AM