• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMS- Are some unreliable with high RH?

Stephen,
I am one of those who abhor F1869, but my disgust comes from the misapplication of a viable test seen in the field.

Believing that the MVER calculated under wildly varying conditions and then believing that the MVER of a concrete slab indicates the suitability for moisture sensitive flooring is flawed reasoning. We know better than that now.

I do believe calcium chloride is a desiccant, I do believe it can be used to absorb moisture, and I do believe under laboratory conditions it can be used for determining certain conditions of state. For E96 testing it is fine. But for use by a flooring installer this is physics that looks great on paper being pawned for an improper purpose. There are far too many contributing factors that skew the MVER readings to believe the test results.

Further more, the purpose of E96 is to measure moisture permeance through a barrier. The purpose of F1869 is the same, but most don't use it for that! The results harvested are used for a completely different reason.

CaCl does the same thing in both cases, yes, but in one case we learn the permeance of a product and in the other we learn the long term propensity for a successful floor installation? I don't think so.
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
RE: MMS- Are some unreliable with high RH? - CC Solutions - 11-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who Says Rapid Rh Reads High? Ernesto 3 9,308 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Last Post: CC Solutions
  High Rapid RH readings?? ddemento 49 81,088 12-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Ernesto
  high rh in concrete chas04344 2 8,910 09-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Last Post: chas04344

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon