• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you use contracts for jobs anymore?

I just told a new customer (flooring contractor) that I could do an emergency remediation for them Tuesday. They were scrambling to get a floor in and the architect said no-way to sheet vinyl with no vapor retarder under the slab.

This job is a 5 hour drive and I asked if they checked with a big mitigation contractor in the area. They did, but the contractor didn't return 3 calls.

I gave them a price and they jumped at it. When I called my foreman and told him we have a change of plans for Tuesday he said maybe they don't pay their bills and that's why the big local guy won't work with them.

That made me think. What if they don't pay, or if they make a big fuss? I had one job last year that I had a contract with the GC, otherwise I had no contracts at all. Guess which job I had the most problems with?

Oh, I used to use contracts all the time. I had mine and the client always has theirs. Bigger clients demand you use theirs, that kind of sucks, I like mine because it protects me! But most companies I work for (even ones that had contracts and paperwork) ignore paperwork and just call and I go do the work and they pay the bill. And I'm talking about pretty good sized jobs..... my largest no contract job was $430,000.00! Yep, no contract, monthly billing, no problems at all. Most of my jobs are under $50,000.00 though.

My attorney tells me a verbal contract is definitely a contract, and I keep emails and am sure to spell out details. I guess a contract works both ways, it can hang you or help you, but lately nobody seems concerned. The Tuesday job is $10,000.00 and the company seems legit, so I'll just do it. Maybe just doing the work, no fussing, endears my company to clients, who knows??? Big Grin
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Do you use contracts for jobs anymore? - CC Solutions - 09-02-2011, 06:44 AM

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon