• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
moisture meter

CC;
What do you recommend be placed under the bamboo and on top of the concrete floor assuming we get good results from tests.. (Bamboo is a floating floor ..no sub wood floor in place) Currently Aquabar"B". SHould the RH test be done in addition to CACL?

If the results are within the parameters of the manufacturer, just follow the manufacturer's advice for an underlayment. The foam should be just fine.
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

I just finished watching Howard Kanare's videos on YouTube and I wouldn't trust either the CaCl or moisture meters. You want to measure the RH inside the slab, not the surface like the first two tests.

(11-18-2010, 05:01 PM)Justin Wrote:  I just finished watching Howard Kanare's videos on YouTube and I wouldn't trust either the CaCl or moisture meters. You want to measure the RH inside the slab, not the surface like the first two tests.

Justin, you have good cause to fear MVER testing and the EI testers! But keep in mind RH tests are not valid if a mitigation system is in place. A quality mitigation system will reduce MVER to acceptable levels while the internal RH remains high for many many years.

One must look at the entire picture to make rational decisions on how to proceed with any slab. Wink
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Lots of those 2 in 1 cushion/vapor retarders can only handle up to 5lbs of vapor emissions measure with a cacl test.

Also...not to rain on anyones parade...just because the rh may be a tad high does not mean thats what is going to come out of the surface. Lots of variables like mix ratios, additives, steel trowel finishes all add up.

If your already having issues I'd go the extra six cents with a layer of 6 mil plastic under the 2 an 1. Hope I ain't to late.......Tongue
Stephen Perrera dba
Top Floor Installation Co.
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com
http://www.floorsavior.com

Thanks everyone for your ideas. We are going to do CACL in two or three other places on the floor + a RH tests. This way if they are truly high the installer will be on board with doing the right solution... whether it be a sealer or the 6 mil plastic or both. The unfortunate thing is me having to spend $ on these tests, but I suppose in the end it will then be worth it so that we have actual facts. I'll keep you all posted.

6 mil plastic ....

We use the equivalent of stego & use an asphaltic tape on the seams. 6mil can still have a very high perm rating.

would you use this in addition to the Aquabar "B" over the concrete floor. We got Cacl test of 4.04% . Does that sound OK?

4% MVER is very low, and again, I always suspect inaccurate results using CaCl tests.

If you can eliminate the possibility of moisture introduced from above (washing, mopping etc) and extreme ambient RH swings from heating and cooling (the bamboo is a sponge! ) I would then suspect the substrate even though the Aquabar is in place.
JD Grafton
[email protected]

FYI http://www.fortifiber.com/pdf/data_sheets/DS_aquabar_b.pdf

<1 perm. (not too specific)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moisture going up Rubensgt40 3 1,818 07-05-2014, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Rubensgt40
  35-40 year old concrete with moisture problems Tscdad 13 8,086 05-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Last Post: eaadams
  Digital moisture meter QC worker 2 2,042 05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Rubensgt40
  Tandus removes moisture testing requirement eaadams 2 4,304 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Last Post: eaadams
  Carbide moisture testing CC Solutions 4 8,876 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Last Post: CC Solutions
  Old concrete slab moisture DeanC 23 51,436 12-15-2011, 01:20 AM
Last Post: foxgeorge
  Flooring Manufacturer Warrenty in Relation to Moisture mwoody 5 11,171 08-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Ernesto
Sad Is there a way to measure moisture plus cold temperatures sort of like a heat index b Ronald Edberg 4 10,923 07-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Last Post: rthompson
  Concrete Moisture Control Systems BuilderPDX 8 17,161 06-09-2011, 06:09 AM
  The Moisture Webinar Ernesto 17 33,885 04-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon