Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Was recommended for a job yesterday
09-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Was recommended for a job yesterday
I received a call from a BASF rep in Illinois who wanted to get his mitigation system in at a job in northern WI. He got my name from a company in mid-Wisconsin and asked if I shot blast concrete. I told him I can do that, then he gave my name to a contractor in southern WI that I've worked with before (new project manager though so I don't know him) and he called me.

What he wanted was to blast 300sf, and the job is 200 miles away. He wanted a sf price. He had another 3600sf that he may need done. Of course the 300sf would be an outrageous price ($3/sf) but the 3600 I could do at a good rate.

He called back this am and said the price was okay, and he wanted the 3600 done at the same time. Like a dummy I told him we could do much better on the job now (after he had $3/sf approved.... :dodgySmile. Oh well, we have time to fit the work in and it will be a couple more clients in my history.

Question Do you give paybacks when you are recommended?

JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2011, 09:41 AM
RE: Was recommended for a job yesterday
Paybacks in California are illegal and you can loose your license.

But I do refer work to suppliers who stand with me. ack my back is really itchy today
09-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Well the contractor just wrote and said he found a better price.... Dodgy

JD Grafton
[email protected]
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
[I'm going to use the proverbial you as CC Solutions as a SLU/mitigation company/concrete repair]

The contractor who shops your price isn't one you want to work with anyway.

But my issue is always that the GC will shop your spec. Then when the other company does the work they wont follow your spec the way you would do it. Then I follow with the floor and get a call back because of the subfloor work. That is why with my favorite moisture subs I will ask them not to be too specific with their spec so to not help the unscrupulous GC. Giving the GC too much info / data up front allows him to shop it more effectively. If I can get the sub to front load his proposal with the red flags and problems needing to be addressed all the better to try to stop the bid shop. Even better is for the prep company to do a performance based spec in arcane ASTM language that allows a shopped spec/proposal to be examined if the GC comes back to me to help evaluate the bids.
09-20-2011, 10:09 AM
In this case they just wanted a blast to CSP3. Well actually they just wanted a blast.... I gave them the spec they should follow...

JD Grafton
[email protected]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious