• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self consolidating concrete (SCC)

Jd, I don't quite get what you are saying...

Scc has plasticisors and it should have capilaries since it.does still dry even if with less water.

A concrete poured with a high water content will contain large voids when it begins to dry. That's why poor concrete is more porous than good, well compacted, low W/C ratio concrete.
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

The flooring industry recommends that the water/cement ratio not to exceed 0.50. ASTM F710 States the w/c ratio to be between 0.40 and 0.45. The average in the US is 0.58 what I consider crapcrete.

I had a slab I worked on that was poured with a very high ratio, I'd have to get the old papers out to see how high it was, but it was wet, like .65 or more.

It dried really quickly, much faster than any of us figured it would. Then we thought perhaps it was all the voids that helped it dry. There may be something to that, but the concrete was pretty weak. Good enough for a floor slab though.
JD Grafton
[email protected]

(10-06-2011, 11:45 PM)greer63sykes Wrote:  Self consolidating concrete (SCC), also known as self compacting concrete, is a highly flowable, non-segre- gating concrete that can spread into place. This post is really interesting one.

Sounds like a Wiki answer greer. And with the spam link attached methinks your intentions are less than honorable... Dodgy
JD Grafton
[email protected]

spam removed by admin.

thanks JD!

Thank you Heidi!
If this is Heidi that is.... Question
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Self-compacting concrete is a concrete mixture that is able to consolidate under its own weight. The highly fluid nature of it makes suitable for placing in difficult conditions and congested reinforcement. Use of it can also help minimize hearing-related damages on the worksite that are induced by vibration of concrete. Another advantage of Self-compacting concrete is that the time required to place large sections is considerably reduced. Self-consolidating concrete is a highly flowable, non-segregating concrete. It can be used casting heavily reinforced sections. The required level of fluidity is greatly influenced by the particular application under consideration. Obviously the most congested structural members demand the highest fluidity.

Hi foxgeorge, glad to have you!

So when you use a self consolidating concrete there must be a stricter limit on the height of each pour. How long does the concrete take before it can support its own weight and then another lift above?
JD Grafton
[email protected]

walked into a job today with 10" Cast in Place on Grade and Suspended
the concrete contractor told me they used Super P - there are a bunch of what looks like stress cracks throughout the slab - he told me that's common with this product - hoping you could shed some insight

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ICRI pH testing Concrete Repair Bulletin eaadams 4 2,697 05-20-2014, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Ashok Kakade
  35-40 year old concrete with moisture problems Tscdad 13 7,998 05-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Last Post: eaadams
  Concrete Hood Method Blake McFee 9 27,634 11-08-2013, 01:41 PM
  RH in Concrete for Wood Floor with Vapor Membrane eaadams 35 65,212 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Last Post: jim decker
Question Concrete Cork Sandwich Floor System JKJeremy 4 8,411 01-30-2013, 04:43 PM
  World of Concrete 2012 eaadams 0 3,499 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM
  Old concrete slab moisture DeanC 23 51,329 12-15-2011, 01:20 AM
Last Post: foxgeorge
  Self-leveling concrete - My bonehead mistake CC Solutions 37 66,876 09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Last Post: CC Solutions
  Concrete Surface Texture eaadams 12 27,455 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM
  Concrete Moisture Control Systems BuilderPDX 8 17,128 06-09-2011, 06:09 AM

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon