Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Schmidt hammer
10-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Schmidt hammer
Anyone ever use a Schmidt hammer? How? Can they be used on 365+ day old concrete?

I'm considering investing in one but don't know how they work.

I'm starting to think a lot of my headaches are from either
a) soft crete - concrete that has a surface problem that falls apart after I have the floor down
b) hard crete - hard troweled concrete that inhibits a normal speed of moisture movement out of the slab.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2011, 11:41 AM
RE: Schmidt hammer
Oh yeah, the rebound hammer! It is designed to tell you the compressive strength of the concrete. They are good to get a number, but I was pretty disappointed to see Mr. Craig didn't use one on a project we did...

He just scraped the concrete surface with a screwdriver. If you can scratch the surface semi-easily, something is wrong.

If the slab doesn't completely absorb a drop of water in one minute, it's not porous enough.

Those are the tests I use 100% of the time. If I need to document something I will use a rebound hammer and an elcometer to get further numbers.

JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]
11-02-2011, 10:24 PM
(10-28-2011 11:41 AM)CC Solutions Wrote:  He just scraped the concrete surface with a screwdriver. If you can scratch the surface semi-easily, something is wrong.

Is this what he used? http://www.mineralab.com/Hardness.htm
11-03-2011, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2011 06:59 AM by CC Solutions.)
Not exactly..

The one he used looked more like this:

Attached File(s)
.jpg  screwdriver.jpg (Size: 9.69 KB / Downloads: 6)

JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
JGraf[email protected]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious