• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relative Humidity Probe Depth

I've got a project with 5.5 inch thick elevated concrete slabs on 2 inch composite metal deck. To what depth do the humidity probes get installed? 40% of 5.5 inches? 40% of 3.5 inches? By the time the flooring gets installed the building is essentially finished with ceiling components and makes it difficult to determine the high and lows of the poured concrete deck.

Check the Wagner YouTube. They just posted a video on that I think.

Thanks! I just watched the video. What is the recommended model of "metal detector" by Wagner? Any other quick and simple techniques to avoid the interference from the reinforcing steel (rebar, WWF) that is in the concrete?

I guess the answer right now is 40% of the deepest part of the elevated slab. How does installing the probe at 40% of the shallow thickness effect the reading?

Let me throw out something that we were tossing about amongst ourselves during a meeting long ago..... I have not watched the video, so if this differs from that I defer to the greater knowledge!!! Big Grin

An old rule of thumb was to take 50% of the metal deck depth and add that to the neat concrete above the deck, then drill down 40% of the total. That would put these probes at 1.8" deep.

Now I will go watch the video... Sorry.... Tongue
Okay, can't find the video..... Sad
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

There are many great metal detectors out there in the market place. The one used on Wagner's video is called the Garrett Enforcer G-2 Metal Detector and can be found on the following website: http://www.defensedevices.com/gareng2.html

JD, you may find the video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCrZMcJ1YU

Thank you for that link!!!
The Garretts are great too. Like any new toy, I play with it all the time. Big Grin
Oh, BTW, on the defense devices site where you can pick up the Garrett, you can also buy bear spray which comes in handy when you tell the Protimeter user that his probe is junk.... They get real defensive Big Grin
JD Grafton
[email protected]

I know it sounds crazy but this is a good tool to have just to check to see if a slab does have continual steel reinforcement.

You can also see where the rebar is so you don't hit it.

I used one to scan 6" on center rebar when I was taking 4" diameter cores. It works great!
JD Grafton
[email protected]

PT Slab -- ack!

We utimately used the old rule of thumb the CC mentioned for the probe depth, but does that meet the intent of the ASTM and Wagner for acceptabitily?

I found this in the do's and don't thread:

"When measuring concrete poured in a fluted pan, take the thickness of the concrete above the flutes (i.e. 4") and add 1/2 of the depth of the flutes (2" fluted pan means you would add 1" to the 4" for a total of 5") and drill your hole 40% of that measurement. I have not seen official documentation on this issue released yet, so please check beforehand. I believe the new ASTM will address this."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  improper probe depth Rrozema 10 24,437 03-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Last Post: CC Solutions
  Ardex promotes the Wagner Rapid RH probe! CC Solutions 15 35,618 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM
  Ambient humidity vs. RH Rubensgt40 19 39,389 10-16-2011, 06:09 PM
  Relative Humidity Probes Blake McFee 5 12,740 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM
  Specific humidity or ERH or Calcium Carbide? Andy 11 26,010 05-11-2010, 03:22 PM
  Probe Placement (Depth) CDougherty 2 9,045 01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
  Recalibration of Relative Humidity Probes jpeters 7 19,125 12-17-2009, 12:16 PM
  Relative Humidity Probes CMoore 1 7,938 02-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Last Post: rthompson
  Hole Depth Jphillips 1 7,627 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Last Post: rthompson

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon