Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ray Thompson Article in FCI
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Ray Thompson Article in FCI
http://www.fcimag.com/Articles/Column/BN...8744?bnpad

Dear Ray,

Nice article. Another thing you I get asked a lot about and as vinyl flooring salesman is that there is no equivalent to hoofer doofer for vinyl. Many installers

I have mechanics frequently make a mistake and ask if they can use hoofer doofer on vinyl. Always sets me off as a job I'm going to have a call back on.

Also you can't wax out your mistakes on vinyl like you can on lino. Lino is so much more forgiving.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
RE: Ray Thompson Article in FCI
Linoleum is a lot more friendly in a lot of ways and a lot more difficult to install. Linoleum is known to grow where vinyl is known to shrink. So placing some thing in a seam that is going to skrink is not going to work.
Rayt
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
cheap vinyl shrinks as it has fillers. I've never known a high end commercial vinyl to significantly shrink. Residential and cheap sheet vinyl, yes.
07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
All vinyl shrinks. There are many factors to this, but all vinyl shrinks Rayt
07-12-2012, 01:01 PM
If all vinyl shrinks then you should compression fit every seam, no?

Many vinyl manufacturers call for gaping high quality vinyl the width of a credit card before heat welding. When we later get a complaint of a seam bulging on both sides of a seam it is usually because the vinyl grew, not shrink. The same goes for most recycled rubber floors, when an installer compression fits those (like you would normal rubber) you also get seam bulging.
07-12-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm not a flooring installer but it is my understanding that rubber will expand and vinyls shrink. Vinyls shrink as they lose their plasticizers if I remember correctly.

The glue right at the edge will hold most vinyls in place, but a loose piece of vinyl (or one that isn't acclimated before installation) can really shrink. A good welded seam may hold it together a while, and a chemical seam is even stronger, but without good gluing procedures vinyl seams can be troublesome.

The gapping or grooving of the seam before welding is to insure a deeper weld I think. Again, I'm not an installer. Wink

JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]
07-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Rubber remains dimensionally stable
Vinyl tends to shrink rotogravure the most, then inlaid then homogeneous and heterogeneous. The adhesive plays a roll in stabilizing some of the vinyls while others need a seam treatment.
Linoleum tends to expand.
Regards
Rayt
07-18-2012, 11:02 AM
once again... I learn a lot from these forums.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious