• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RH Meter Without Sleeves

Seems there is someone out there that is making an Rh meter that does not come with a sleeve of any kind. He is saying that one does not need a sleeve of any kind and if you wanted one simply roll up some foil tape.
Rolleyes

Personally I have never heard or seen any reusable rh probes that does not utilize a sleeve of some kind or a stop gap rubber seal like on the old ones. He says and I quote " have not seen any data regarding the difference in RH readings made with and without sleeves. If any exists I would certainly welcome the opportunity to evaluate it. Of course the effect of a sleeve can be easily and cheaply achieved by using a metal foil tape formed into a cylindrical shape and placed into the drilled hole."

Don't want to name names but this guy does seminars and charges plenty. Knows lots of wood science though.

Is he correct or not?

Part of the reason the Wagner Rapid RH is so amazingly accurate is the design. When we measure the relative humidity in a concrete slab, we want to isolate the horizon we read at the 40% depth or 20% depth depending on the slab. Most of the sleeved probes do a very poor job of isolating the specific depth required for an accurate result. The probes on other brands end up being influenced by the drier concrete above the 40% depth because the sensor is not sealed right where we need to collect our reading.

The Wagner probe has a seal just above the sensor that isolates the sensor from the rest of the hole, and reads only at the precise depth it is set at.

I'd like to read this person's thoughts on the subject.
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

Howdy Wallace,.

CC, thats what was explained to the guy but he is college educated. Wink

Ernesto Wrote:CC, thats what was explained to the guy but he is college educated.

LOL, so am I Ernesto, but I have learned to work around my handicap!

It is entirely possible to eliminate the sleeve, but sleeves are a cost effective means of sealing a hole drilled in concrete to allow it to acclimate, and provide an access point into the concrete. Perhaps he found a better way.... I'd like to see it.
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

When we measure the relative humidity in a concrete slab, we want to isolate the horizon we read at the 40% depth or 20% depth depending on the slab.

No sleeve no correct depth. Ain't no way around that. The foil tape method is just sillyness. I have yet to hear any reply that has any merit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital moisture meter QC worker 2 2,027 05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Rubensgt40
  Concrete Moisture Meter DeanC 6 15,205 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Last Post: eaadams
  moisture meter sbhtennis 30 59,713 12-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Last Post: CC Solutions

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon