• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LEED and HVAC, Friends or Enemy?

I don't have Linked In. Could someone post some details of the 'conversation'. It is something I am supremely interested in as it is a CONSTANT headache.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
LEED and HVAC, Friends or Enemy?
Here is a question posted on LinkedIn we would love to hear your feedback on:

LEED...THE LATEST BUZZ WORK. I know that forever the industry has not received the appropriate ambient conditions to perform moisture testing the way it is specified to be done. I know that we fast track everything to the point that concrete has no chance to "dry". Now we are actually promoting and rewarding projects for not having the HVAC turned on until occupancy, by potentially giving it LEED credits? Someone please help me REALLY make sense of this. I don't understand why, as building professionals, the implications are not seen!

login to Linked In to join the conversation
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll paste one of the best responses on that topic that I have read... This guy really knows his stuff....

• I am not sure of the specifics, but there is hesitancy to introduce dust into the permanent ductwork, especially in hospice facilities. There is also resistance to starting the HVAC equipment during construction because once it is commissioned the warranty clock is started, and on a large project that could mean the equipment is running a year or more before the owner moves in.
At the same time, conditioning the air is very important for worker comfort and the construction process. The drywall mud can dry, the paint finish is better, concrete dries, counter tops stay straight and workers have a better attitude resulting in a superior product.
There are several ways we can have the best of both worlds, meeting the needs of the building and the future owner. We can explain the benefits of a better and less expensive project and convince the owner to run the existing HVAC using good filters at all intakes to keep ductwork clean. Or we can use temporary HVAC equipment to condition the building.
Both of these options carry a cost that hopefully was explained well ahead of the project's start, but the price of conditioning the facility is money well spent in the long run. (JD Grafton)
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

That was a good reply, must be an impersonator. Cool I'm suprised there is not more discussion on the matter. Great topic.

I had a super call me last week, says his vct installer didn't show up twice on him and needed an install asap. I did a drive by and there was no hvac, temp outside 106, outside rh 50% and the parking lot in front of the new stand alone Dollar Store was going to get paved the next day.

I called him back and made fun of him. Big GrinSadBig GrinSad
Stephen Perrera dba
Top Floor Installation Co.
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com
http://www.floorsavior.com

No air condo and it was 106 degrees out? No wonder the installer didn't show up!
JD Grafton
[email protected]

No, it was not a condo, a new Dollar Store, new concrete and all.
Stephen Perrera dba
Top Floor Installation Co.
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com
http://www.floorsavior.com

Around here we call air conditioning 'air condo', like "turn on the air condo it's hotter than a 2 dollar pistol in here!"
JD Grafton
[email protected]

We had a super call us in before any thresholds were on in Fresno. By the time we returned to finish there was a fine Fresno dirt all over the floor. One guy One day to clean = should have grown a backbone and said no.

Well that bites.... Sometimes you just can't win....
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HVAC and Concrete Moisture Chris Reynold 2 9,141 12-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Last Post: rthompson

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon