• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I offered free RH testing

I visited a job where the slab is wet under the vinyl. The hospital has tried every repair the installer has recommended. They have changed glues, installed new patches, changed some areas to rubber... nothing works.

I looked at the job and told them it sure looks like a moisture issue. I was shown test results from a local engineering firm claiming the slab RH is in the 50's percent range. The report was done with fancy letterhead on fancy paper, but many important details were missing, the ASTM was not followed, and the equipment used I absolutely despise Tongue. The hospital paid a lot of money for the testing.

Because of all the repairs and existing floor bubbles the hospital facilities guy was under a lot of pressure to figure this out! He was being given so many conflicting reports, he was truly beside himself. I told the facilities engineer I would conduct RH testing for free, no strings attached, just so we could have solid results to look at. The job is several hours away from my office and he'd like me to do my testing at 6am. Big Grin

But you know what? No matter what happens we'll all learn something, and if things go the way I think they will, I'll prove my value to the facility and make some new friends in the industry. That is priceless!!
JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]

As long as they don't put the work out to bid that sounds good. I have had school officials do the same thing and show zero loyalty afterward

Well, even if they have someone else do the work, at least if my predictions are correct and I can show how the trusted 'expert' has done them a disservice, I think I will be happy.

I was recommended by an engineer at the state, so as long as I perform admirably I will improve my reputation. And sometimes that's all I can ask for.
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Arn't schools required to have bids?
Stephen Perrera dba
Top Floor Installation Co.
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com
http://www.floorsavior.com

I suppose they are. I was a consultant though. When nobody can figure out the problem, I guess they just keep asking people for an answer.
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Problem is with some people is that they want you to come over and look at it for them for free. Free don't pay the bills. And you can't tell them exactly what the problem is by looking at it.....let me rephrase that.....a concrete guru can Smile but why would you since they have the answer they wanted and now will try another avenue to fitz it.
Stephen Perrera dba
Top Floor Installation Co.
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com
http://www.floorsavior.com

(04-02-2011, 07:44 AM)Ernesto Wrote:  Problem is with some people is that they want you to come over and look at it for them for free. Free don't pay the bills. And you can't tell them exactly what the problem is by looking at it.....let me rephrase that.....a concrete guru can Smile but why would you since they have the answer they wanted and now will try another avenue to fitz it.

can't tell much but to agree with you..

(04-02-2011, 07:44 AM)Ernesto Wrote:  Problem is with some people is that they want you to come over and look at it for them for free. Free don't pay the bills. And you can't tell them exactly what the problem is by looking at it.....let me rephrase that.....a concrete guru can Smile but why would you since they have the answer they wanted and now will try another avenue to fitz it.

I always go for free.... And sometimes I will do RH and CaCl testing for free. I usually start balking on the third or fourth visit if I don't feel like I'm going to get a paying job out of the deal. And I won't do a complete concrete work-up for free, those run $1,000 and up. But I'd say just traveling 3 hours to look at a problem and then back and returning a couple times does cost me a fair amount of money, especially if I have to take an employee along. Most of the clients I have met are really good though. Remember I don't do residential work, and that's where a lot of the tire kickers are.... Wink
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Can anyone explain what is the meaning of RH Testing?
Not familiar with the term.

(04-05-2011, 05:21 AM)Thomas55brien Wrote:  Can anyone explain what is the meaning of RH Testing?
Not familiar with the term.

In this context RH testing refers to In-Situ Relative Humidity testing, a process that follows ASTM F2170 which entails inserting a probe into the concrete to measure the amount of moisture in the concrete.
JD Grafton
[email protected]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ICRI pH testing Concrete Repair Bulletin eaadams 4 2,699 05-20-2014, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Ashok Kakade
  Tandus removes moisture testing requirement eaadams 2 4,283 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Last Post: eaadams
  RH Testing Thick Slabs CCR 33 49,068 11-21-2012, 10:19 AM
  Calcium Carbide testing and Silicates Lepito 51 84,950 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Last Post: ILLENTINC
  Carbide moisture testing CC Solutions 4 8,848 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Last Post: CC Solutions
  Testing Cost eaadams 22 34,245 07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Ernesto
  Mositure Testing Over Concrete Discussion Ernesto 36 68,921 04-19-2011, 04:59 PM
  RH testing bob huesgen 2 8,664 09-30-2010, 08:27 AM
  Certified Testing Results Wesley Holley 11 27,589 09-20-2010, 03:01 PM
  Preferred Method for Testing RH? george 15 34,434 01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Ernesto

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon