Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How about heated slabs?
12-04-2013, 08:41 AM
How about heated slabs?
I posted this on LinkedIn and figured I should raise the question here, where all the brainiacs hang out...Big Grin

Here's something to think about: Concrete slabs will trend to acclimate with the surrounding atmospheric conditions. Very old and dry slabs (55% or so) will absorb moisture when the ambient relative humidity is higher than the slab, and they will emit moisture when the ambient RH drops.

In the tropics a slab may be dry when it reaches 80% RH if that's what the ambient RH is. Remember that 'dry' means it emits no moisture, not that it has zero moisture in it. There is always free water in concrete.

So here's the conundrum, and I have not done any testing regarding this, but if we follow the standard psychrometric chart: A slab held at a constant 85 degrees with a 75% RH reading indicates there is nearly twice as much moisture in the slab compared to a slab at 65 degrees and 75% RH. By raising the slab temperature, you lower the RH.

If your concrete slab will always remain warm, could it then be suitable for flooring with a higher RH than commonly accepted?

JD Grafton
Concrete Answers for Flooring Problems
[email protected]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious

Messages In This Thread
How about heated slabs? - CC Solutions - 12-04-2013 08:41 AM
RE: How about heated slabs? - eaadams - 12-04-2013, 10:50 AM
RE: How about heated slabs? - Rubensgt40 - 12-08-2013, 11:24 PM