Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drilling test holes for depth confirmation
04-09-2013, 04:15 AM
Drilling test holes for depth confirmation
How close to a test probe location do you guys drill a "test hole" to see how deep the slab is?

I am on a job in North Carolina. I drilled (3) 3/8" and used a hanger with a hook shape at the end to find the depth of the slab. I found 6", 6.5" and close to 7". I was willing to assume that the tests needed to be based on 6.5". It was a 5 probe job, when I got around to the front of the store, I figured I should do one more depth test between my probe hole and the edge of the slab, just in case. I was about 7' from the exterior wall. I found that the slab was only 4" deep here. Huh

This was all weird to me because these chain store that I test most often, are almost ALWAYS 5". Also, now I am questioning all of my probe depths, except for #5 becasue the depth test was within a couple feet of the probe hole. I have always made it a point to not do my depth test near my probe holes, because I was afraid the compromise in the moisture barrier would affect the test. I do fill the holes with epoxy when I am done. Should I go back and drill depth holes near all of my probes, just to be sure? If so, how close can/should I be to my probe holes with my depth tests?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2013, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 07:10 AM by Rubensgt40.)
RE: Drilling test holes for depth confirmation
I wish I knew how to answer that.

Same discussion brought up on this here thread

Although it did get a little off-track (for once not my fault JD Smile )

I don't think that the proximity of a narrow test hole to the probe location will be a big deal - but I have no scientific evidence to back that.

That said, I just did a test in a school where I hit re-bar three times before I finally got a successful probe hole. I will patch the dud holes up with some portland cement mix, but obviously not until after the readings are taken. I'm a little paranoid that the water in the patching mix will show up somewhere nearby...again, probably nothing scientific to back that but you can't be too careful.

Pat Atherton
Floor Test Australia
www.moisturetesting.com.au

Our beer is not expensive, just less cheap.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious