Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drilling test holes for depth confirmation
04-09-2013, 04:15 AM
Drilling test holes for depth confirmation
How close to a test probe location do you guys drill a "test hole" to see how deep the slab is?

I am on a job in North Carolina. I drilled (3) 3/8" and used a hanger with a hook shape at the end to find the depth of the slab. I found 6", 6.5" and close to 7". I was willing to assume that the tests needed to be based on 6.5". It was a 5 probe job, when I got around to the front of the store, I figured I should do one more depth test between my probe hole and the edge of the slab, just in case. I was about 7' from the exterior wall. I found that the slab was only 4" deep here. Huh

This was all weird to me because these chain store that I test most often, are almost ALWAYS 5". Also, now I am questioning all of my probe depths, except for #5 becasue the depth test was within a couple feet of the probe hole. I have always made it a point to not do my depth test near my probe holes, because I was afraid the compromise in the moisture barrier would affect the test. I do fill the holes with epoxy when I am done. Should I go back and drill depth holes near all of my probes, just to be sure? If so, how close can/should I be to my probe holes with my depth tests?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious

Messages In This Thread
Drilling test holes for depth confirmation - hausenheimer - 04-09-2013 04:15 AM