Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A most unfortunate flooring failure!
06-20-2013, 04:39 PM
RE: A most unfortunate flooring failure!
(06-01-2013 01:12 PM)jim decker Wrote:  Though specified by the architect insuti testing still being fought for a high school because the flooring contract did not budget for that. Be interesting to see how this turns out. Will require 225 probes!
On another note 4,000 sf very expensive wood. Hired gun for mfg stated 3 calcium chloride tests 5 lbs 5.5 lbs 5.84 lbs. What makes this more remarkable is he states the wood moisture content top 7.1% back 7.3% highly unlikely this is possible. Wood science makes this impossible. RH testing results 60%. Cause ambient humidity levels 15% producing a moisture imbalance of 2% differential top to bottom. Result Dry cupping!
For wood guys sandwich was 2 layers of 15 lb felt secured with black asphalt mastic, 3/4" plywood exposure 1, Aquabar between plywood and hardwood. Subsequently they installed 3 steam humidifiers to rectify the situation. White oak rift and quarter sawn. Very expensive hardwood $20 sq ft. Real sad! Looks like it is coming around after 4 weeks of exposure to 40% relative humidity.

I have to admit, I'm probably the least knowledgeable about wood, but the facts make absolute sense. But what I notice most is the fact moisture testing was not budgeted in the flooring contract! Certainly it had to be in the architectural spec in Div. 9. This is what I continue to see...it's required, but no one includes testing for fear of losing the bid. It's time for the owners and/or GCs and architects to call this out as an absolute requirement in the bid. And better still by a third-party certified testing agency. In short, the almighty dollar is still driving poor decisions.

JK Nixon
Concrete Restoration Services, LLC
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.rhtester.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious

Messages In This Thread
RE: A most unfortunate flooring failure! - CCR - 06-20-2013 04:39 PM