• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A most unfortunate flooring failure!

I have been on both sides of this fence, as an installer and as a shop owner. I have had my Rapid RH Meter for about 5 years, and I love having it at my disposal, but realistically as an installer, we don't get paid to leave one jobsite in one area of the city to go spend a half a day testing in another area of the city. There is a cost involved in testing concrete moisture. Sure, all the purists can say that the cost of doing or sending someone to do a moisture test (along with the cost of the sensors, etc,) is akin to purchasing an insurance policy on the installation, if it's not in the bid spec, you are incurring higher costs than the competition you're bidding against. As an installer, why would you spend an additional $60-80 on sensors and a half a day of downtime to go and test a jobsite before the installation date? Installers are already on the lowest end of the flooring pay scale and are the least able to take the hit. Until moisture testing is clearly written into the general contractor's scope of work, it will continue to be hit-and-miss. If I have a job larger than about 2000-3000 square yards, I will do the testing myself at no charge for my own peace of mind, but there is a profitability cut-off that I have to realistically respect.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A most unfortunate flooring failure! - ceflooring - 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flooring Failure & 99%RH sadhomeowner 7 12,198 11-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Ernesto
  Flooring Manufacturer Warrenty in Relation to Moisture mwoody 5 11,118 08-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Ernesto

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon