Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
35-40 year old concrete with moisture problems
05-15-2014, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 06:26 AM by Glen Blount.)
RE: 35-40 year old concrete with moisture problems
I have a 66 year old structure that we just remodeled, it was originally a roller skating rink in south Florida. We are consistently getting readings between 96 and 99% with the moisture meters. I need to re-install a vinyl plank flooring over the slab and we are concerned due to the high moisture readings. There is no evidence of moisture under the existing flooring that we are going to remove. However we are getting a strange black material that looks like scuff marks but seems to be a sticky goo and it tracks on the existing loose lay plank flooring. We have found no mold in the building and there is no smell. My concern is what is the best product to mitigate the high moisture readings before we replace the floor. I suspect after research that we have a very old porous concrete slab with a deteriorated vapor barrier? Would appreciate any observations, experiences or recommendations. Thanks

I need to add that we removed a wood floor that was installed over sleepers and due to elevation changes we floated the 2" with new concrete. The moisture readings have been taken in the existing slab not in the slurry we applied over the existing slab and the floated areas had 6 months to cure before the loose lay vinyl plank flooring was installed. We are replacing the loose lay with a direct glue down. When we remove the existing loose lay vinyl we find no indication of moisture under the vinyl!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious

Messages In This Thread
RE: 35-40 year old concrete with moisture problems - Glen Blount - 05-15-2014 06:20 AM